Thursday, August 5, 2010

How Much SHOULD I Weigh???

One of the advantages to tracking body fat percentage is that it will tell you how much you SHOULD weigh- sort of.

Currently, I weigh 249 pounds. 24.8% of that is lard (61.76lbs). For men, 15% body fat and under is considered "fit". There are some made up categories now too like "average" and "acceptable" that are higher. I don't care about those. My current goal is 13%. Assuming the same lean mass, what would I weigh if I was 13% body fat and technically "fit"?

Algebra. Who said it isn't useful?

I know my lean mass is 187.24 lbs. If my body fat was 13%, my lean mass would be 87% right? SO, in order to find my goal weight:

X*.87=187.24

187.24/.87  =  X

X = 215.22lbs

Let's check our work!

215.22 * .87 = 187.24  YAY!

More Math:

215.22 * .13 = 27.98

My current bodyfat in pounds is 61.76. At 13% body fat it would be 27.98 pounds. Therefore, I have 33.78 more fat pounds to lose to get to my goal.

In summary, when I reach 215 pounds, I should be at my goal.

WAIT A SECOND!

215 pounds!!!??  That's WAAAAY to heavy RIGHT??!

Wrong. This is exactly what I should weigh.


What about the BMI Charts?

If you look up my height (5'9") on the body mass index then it appears for me to be in the middle of the "healthy" BMI zone that I should weigh about 150 pounds. Excuse me? That's 65 pounds less!!!!!!!!!!

BMI is a load of garbage. Maybe if I was a starving refugee that weight would make sense. With my current make-up, it's not even possible. In fact, if I had ZERO fat- NOT EVEN AN OUNCE, I would weigh 187 pounds. That puts me in the middle of the overweight category moving toward obese.

Arnold Schwarzenegger in his prime was something like 240 pounds when he competed. He was also about 6'1". That puts the former multi-Mr. Olympia into the obese category.

See a pattern?

BMI is STUPID. It's a height-weight calculation and nothing more. It doesn't take into consideration bones, muscle, fitness, or genetics. IGNORE IT ALWAYS. It has no value at all.

Body fat measurement owns BMI all day long every day. Focus on that.

Fatty out.

No comments:

Post a Comment