Friday, February 12, 2010

Coping with no gym membership

I don't pay for a gym membership.. But I've had one for almost two years. The long and short is that I got it free through work. However, that is coming to an end. So now what? It's winter and I have kids, so I can't just jog outside.

After some research, a cost-benefit analysis, and a discussion with my penny-pinching wife, I ordered a treadmill from Costco.

I already have a nice weight set in the garage. The only thing I need a gym for is a treadmill and a stairmaster. I use a stairmaster once a week for cardio crosstraining. If you take a gym membership plus gym childcare costs (which I do currently pay for) and add the ability of my wife to use the same, you pay for a good treadmill in less than 2 years. As is happens, I just got to my 70+ pounds lost in the last 2 years ish (1 year 7.5 months). I figure it'll take another year or two to really get to where I want to be.

Having the treadmill means no packing kids back and forth, no transit time/costs to and from the gym, and no chance of my machine being taken at peak times.

Most people don't end up using their equipment much. But, that's because they buy it hoping that they will start using it. I have a year and a half of good habits that say that that treadmill is gonna get worked.

And now, I'm off to the gym to use that stairmaster for perhaps the last time. In the future, I'll be doing walks at 12% incline on my new treadmill instead. Works for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment