Saturday, March 13, 2010

8 miles? Puh-leeeeze!

The highlight for this week? Mileage. First off, the total for the week is right about 29.9 miles. Most people would round that to "30", but I dislike exaggeration.

I did cap off the week with a 9 mile jog today. That is a new single-session distance. If you remember, my Saturday goal was to get to 10 miles. I'll do that by the beginning of summer I figure. 

Why? Well, two reasons: First, I want to build endurance. When I do 9 miles, I have to slow down to finish. Since I'm already slow, I end up in a slow jog- about 5.2 mph today. So, it takes me an hour and 45 minutes ish. That long in a cardio heartrate training zone and you get.. endurance. The second reason is calories. Including warm-up and cool-down, I'm doing over 2 hours of sweat-producing exercise. That translates to around 2000 calories. Most of that is fat. In other words, I lose 1/2 pound of lard on Saturdays alone. Not bad.  

Now, I have a friend who began recently to encourage me to do more intensity rather than volume of training. There is research to back that up. I'm assuming he doesn't read the blog. Otherwise, he'd see my entry on HIITs that I wrote months ago. So, why do I smile and nod and continue to up my Saturday mileage? You can't do interval training everyday. I do intervals once or twice a week and high mileage once. I think my approach is more well-rounded and appropriate for my goals.

Especially if you are working your legs with weights during the week, too many sessions of interval training may put you at risk for overtraining. That's a bad thing.

For now, Fatty is on track.

No comments:

Post a Comment