Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Stuck Between a Run and a Fat Place

Fatty's progress is stagnating. Last month I ran well over 100 miles but only dropped a HALF pound of fat. Pathetic.

I know exactly what my problems are.

1.) I now have conflicting goals. Improving at running and losing fat are fighting against each other. The reason is simple. I do too much running. When focusing on losing fat, you are supposed to switch up your exercise every 6 weeks or so. Otherwise your body adapts and you burn fewer calories overall. Well, let's see. I've been focusing on  jogging/running since December. That's 30 weeks!! I'm adapted. Since, I've been training to run a race, I have been hesitant to move away from running too much.

2.) I'm losing a little muscle. Now some muscle loss is totally normal when losing a lot of weight. But, I'm having a hard time keeping up my protein. Also, the longer runs burn protein. It's a tricky balance. I'm not maintaining it very well right now. So, I HAVE to add some resistance training. I started that this month. I know I said you don't need this prior to 35 years old. I stand by that generally. However, my inconsistent protein intake mixed with my longer runs and my body adapting to running... It's a recipie that results in burning the good stuff too. Not acceptable. Weights, here I come.  :)

PLAN:
Keep running about 4 times a week (less than I have) in order to MAINTAIN. Meanwhile, add resistance training. Unfortunately, this means more exercise overall and therefore more time spent. After Hood to Coast I can cut back on the running. Until then- forget it.

No comments:

Post a Comment