Saturday, December 26, 2009

Jogging on Christmas?

So, I got some running/jogging gear on Christmas. New shoes, new moisture-wicking shirts x3, and new jogging pants x2.  I had skipped exercise on Christmas Eve. So, it was only reasonable that I test out my new gear on Christmas!

Mind you, the gym was closed. So, I had to hit the road. Couple problems: It was pretty stinking cold out. Oh, and did I mention the REE-DICULOUS Troutdale wind going on? This was the kind where you end up with your neighbor's garbage cans etc. Gotta love it.

Doesn't matter. I threw down 5 miles. In that 5 miles, I did a mile pace check on a nearby school track. 10:55 was my mile time. That's over a minute reduction on my mile time. This isn't like "how fast can I run a mile." This was a consistent pace thing. As in, I can do 3 of them at that pace, etc. Now, I've already hit that pace and better on a treadmill. But, on the road with no machine helping, it's different. You also burn more calories! I thrashed some 1000 calories. Not bad.

Speaking of buring calories, I measured this morning. I'm down about 0.5% body fat since last check. It's a step in the right direction. I'm ALMOST not obese. I'll let you know. :)

BTW, I strongly recommend Brooks Beasts shoes for jogging/running. They last. I'm on my 5th pair I think. It's the only kind I wear. I've used Nike and Reebok in the past. They look nice, and they're light. But, they are not nearly as durable or substantial as Beasts. Maybe it's just for us fatties. Well, I'm stickin' to 'em.


Merry Christmas. Praise God for a baby in a feed trough a couple millenia ago. Amazing.

1 comment:

  1. paul, I can attest to the Brooks Beasts, they work really well for this fatty also. Enjoy keeping up with your progress, and pray for you along the way.

    Mark M

    ReplyDelete