Tuesday, December 1, 2009

A little history

I grew up a fatty. I can't remember a time before I was 17/18 years old when I wasn't fat. Call it genetics, call it laziness, call it eating too much deep fried potatoes at home. Whatever. The fact of the matter is, by the time it was my 17th birthday, I weighed about 290 pounds. Did I mention I was about 5' 8"? Um... yeah. 

There's a whole story involving becoming a Christian and having someone who bought me a gym membership. But, the short of it is that by the time I graduated high school, I weighed about 185. I ran a 6.5 route about 4 times a week. This is summer 1999.  

Then I went to college and got married (Aug. 2001). For a guy who lacked discipline with regard to eating and exercise most of his life, this was a factor in some... weight gain. Poor routines, and less free time for the gym saw me packin on the pounds. By June of 2008, I weighed about 340 pounds. Amazing isn't it? And not in a good way. 

By summer of 2008 I had finally graduated with an M.A.T. and was done with school. I now had more time to get some exercise habits established. I began hitting the gym regularly (4-5 times a week). Over the course of another year, I lost 55 pounds. Not bad right. 

Right now I'm still in that same spot. I exercise regularly. When I jog, I go 3-4 miles at a pace of about 11:45 a mile. I weigh about 285 pounds. Oh, and I gained an inch somewhere since high school. So, now I'm 5' 9". According to my best measurements, I'm about 31.5% body fat. Healthy for a male is 15% or lower. I'll explain how I got those numbers in the future.

Problems: 1.) I'm morbidly obese 2.) 11:45 a mile is too slow for Hood to Coast 3.)  3-4 miles is too few for Hood to Coast. 

Goals to be acheived by August 2010:  1.) Lose 35 pounds of fat 2.) Get to a consistent pace of 9:45 a mile or better 3.) Be able to run 6 miles at the 9:45 pace twice twice a day.

How will I do it? Stay tuned and you'll find out.  

     

No comments:

Post a Comment